Thursday, December 7, 2006

Why am I doing this Blog??

I have decided to start the "British Columbia Housing Blog" to document my findings and experiences throughout the next year or two as an Uncertain Buyer in todays RE market. I just sold my current home and now I am in the market for a new home. .

Problem is, I cannot bring myself to buy right now

I feel prices are extremely inflated and I have a gut feeling that they will be coming down.

I am not an investor, just a regular guy who got transferred from the Lower Mainland to the Okanagan. I plan on staying there for some time and don't want to make a mistake buying into such an inflated market.

Where are these feelings coming from? Lets start from the beginning.

  1. My home did not sell nearly as quickly as others in my neighbourhood did in the previous year. Nor did it sell for as much, about 5% less. Yes it is a nice home in a nice neighbourhood.
  2. Other Listings in my neighbourhood have been lowering their prices. Those Listings that haven't aren't selling.
  3. What has been happening with the US RE Market and economy is bothering me as well. I truly beleive what happens there will effect Canada.
  4. Reading other Blogs on this subject.
  5. The November RE numbers are showing declines here in BC and Alberta.
  6. As of today, December 7, 2006, the local media is starting to talk about the possibilty of a Housing Crash or Correction. The Bill Good show had a half on the subject and The Vancouver Sun had an article today: Could a big price drop be approaching?
  7. Looking back in History to the previous housing booms and busts. This housing boom is on of the largest, so will it be the largest bust?
  8. The prices people are asking in the Town that I am re-locating to are just to high, in my mind, for what they are.

Only time will tell and I am willing to wait and see where the RE Market is heading before I make my decission on buying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why?
Well the housing market of course.
We are doing relatively OK out in Calif. in the communities nearer to L.A. we see forclosures, but not in the resort' area's. Beach, Desert.
For instance, PALM DESERT - "Desert Falls" Community off Cook / Country Club and others like that are doing Well -
There are some nice properties in those areas and NO SHORT SALES>
Just shows the buyers were savvey when they purchased, and the ones who are selling are just at that time in their lives to sell....
So
What else you have on this blog?
I know the canadian dollar is strong, and one day I would love to visit - -
MARY in California.........(;

BLOG & NEWS FEEDS

Check out my Feeds below.

The Big Picture

Soot and Ashes: From Housing Panic

The Globe and Mail - Business News

The Best Real Estate Anywhere! - Vancouver Realtor Blog

The Housing Bubble - US

Alberta Bubble

Financial Planning and Personal Sanity

Housing Doom - US

vancouver (un)real estate

Vancouver Condo Info

MSNBC.com: Real Estate

Housing PANIC - US

CNNMoney.com - Real Estate

BusinessWeek- Hot Property

CBC | Money News